Monday, January 16, 2017

Halfway through January with Mysterious Summer + Parks and Rec


I've finally come around to you...

I screwed up the second half of Winter Break last month; my case of depression is mild, respectively saying. Too late did I figure out "the security cushion" for grades and truth be told, it was simply put, supposed to be an easy semester- where were my priorities that time? If you hit the security cushion, you're bound to recover easily; I'm not fully worshiping the 'stereotypical expectation' to get all A's, but I didn't hit the security cushion in a few courses last semester. And I'm relapsing emotionally and having occasional occurrences of frustration; I'll say it's partly the explosion that results from bottling up too much. Oh, this adolescent ride's got a couple more years before it ends.
  Also, seems like I've become  been an intriguing character in somebody's eyes for several months now. Heh, I wrote more about it in The Third journal sitting in my room that I'm excited to reach the end of. I guess it could've been a good thing (Sage the Gemini, you know it!) Walking through the hallways, at times, I'm relieved to not see him, but then, I don't get to see those wide, pretty eyes nudging at me.  According to me, ten times did we plan for shenanigans (argh, why'd they fall through; he returned similar thoughts as "there was a perfect night"). Skip skip skip   we talked for an hour, during which he pulls out his "Feelings" card. He never directly asked me out, so I really admire that. Something I said was that he didn't deserve to be in the friendzone or get a rejection (I couldn't imagine that; he's not even 'a nice guy.' He's a fucking* tease 😜) Why do I feel that when I look back, seeing that I wrote this, I'd consider myself to be an insensitive prick! No, something else . It ain't love, but add it as an experience that I would've had. It's something I' d like to have; am I ambitious or just pursuing this and that? Maybe I was born to do both.
*my thoughts and 'conditions' I gave myself to be more open to freely use it ; write on it later

_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Mysterious Summer
15x17-30mins
2014 Fuji TV & iQiyi TV

Each episode has a story of its own, of which stretches an expression's meaning or plays on all sorts of fantasy-horror elements. Over the course of the series, the lighting is significant to establish the mood. The wardrobe is colorful and simple fashion, even for the chic styled ones. What's not monochromatic is that magenta can be a horror symbol or omen. Usually, red and dark tones carry this purpose, but a wild bright hue- Mysterious Summer diverts from your average horror. Jumpscares are out of the question; the series is.. so indie?
  I felt that the series was on a roll for the first half, but the other half provided hopeful endings and I looked back to the earlier episodes and kept hoping that the future episodes would hold true to some of those horror-esque elements present in earlier episodes.
  I did not watch the series in the dark; in fact, it was during afternoon hours. Yeah, broad daylight.
  preferred watching sequence (pws): 1-6, 13-15
Watching pws is enough; full investment in the series- nah.

SWEATPANTS
Sequence7
Well-Casted9
Enjoyment7
Ability to be Binged9
Theme Song/ Animation is Present7
Personalities Differ Among Characters6
Alternating Viewpoints/ Camera Work8
Nice! There's Character Development6
Title 6
Suspense/ Surprise5
Total7


Parks and Recreation
6x21mins
2009 NBC

I spent the past week reading Amy Poehler's Yes Please and what a life- to be living through the 80s, to realize 'your passions' in your youth, to live in the Northeast and in the Midwest! Poehler writes with a casual tone, not holding back any obscenity, and puts out all sorts of things out there:

  "[Apologizing is] scary and that's why we avoid the pain. We want so badly to plead our case and tell our story. The bad news is that everybody has a story" pg. 71
  "6. Be nice, tell your woman she is hot, never shame her, and never hurt her.. | 11. If you don't eat pussy, keep walking." pg. 156

The staff of the Parks and Recreation department of Pawnee, Indiana as government workers have intertwining lives, a heckler of fun, nonsense thinking, and an edgy sense of incompetency. 


In Yes Please, Poehler writes that "the first year was rough" (Poehler 252). With camerawork and a format of The Office, the script and the cast mimic. The first season, the episodes feature less than ten speakers (including one-liners) and by the end of the season, the main characters (Leslie Knope, Mark Brandanowitz, Tom Haverford, Ron Swanson..) are quite underdeveloped with much room to grow. But in 20 minutes, take it as an audition- show 'em what you got. Speaking of which, I'm gonna pull through this year and make shit actually happen and check off dem goals.

An instrumental, 'patriotic' theme song with cast pictures and murals, Pawnee is a town with suburbs, a City Hall, devoid of skyscrapers.. The townspeople are simple and ready to defend their beliefs (Leslie Knope is a reminder that we all got a lot of work ahead of us; don't expect to pull off a Town Hall meeting without a hitch the first time) Sometimes even, a short temper arises and it's overlooked in the department of management.



SWEATPANTS
Sequence7
Well-Casted8
Enjoyment7
Ability to be Binged8
Theme Song/ Animation is Present7
Personalities Differ Among Characters6
Alternating Viewpoints/ Camera Work7
Nice! There's Character Development5
Title 7
Suspense/ Surprise3
Total6.5


Be sensitive to others' feelings,
Take care of yourself and until next time,
post signature