Sunday, September 27, 2015

the offices

 Ricky Gervais or Steve Carroll?
These two versions have their differences .. . .. . ..

6 Episodes (UK and US) 
Comedy Mockumentary

Slough Trading Estate and Dunder-Mifflin have hypocritical, socially awkward [regional] managers who treat their employees as either ghosts or family. 

Ricky Gervais shines with his charisma and wonderful facial expressions. Also a producer for both English versions of The Office, Gervais is a man who deserves recognition as a film leader (director is a better term, but I don't know if he ever directed any works.. perhaps). Portraying David Brent of Slough Trading Estate, his character is well-described through script and actions, as with most of the other employees in the UK version.
Here's the thing about being an American and watching the original English version:: I am greatly struggling to comprehend most of the jokes. For example, what does it mean when you call a lad a 'cock?' Is he a dick or a chicken-bird? I'm not sure. For certain, there are irrelevant jokes and a couple references to celebrities of the British culture. The jokes, the characters, and the realistic bored-depressed-frustrated attitudes are carried into the US version four years later. Between both English versions, the networks aired have obvious contrasts : censorship. Oh, you, BBC. Gore, Science, News. Damn, you got it all.

I have never seen a British comedy and I sincerely did not enjoy Gervais and his co-stars ,much to my disappointment. However, it was well-structured to bring Dunder-Mifflin to life. It's as if the White House was originally a mansion and then the War of 1812 forced a rebuilding which kept the mansion aspect, but added governmental headquarters .

My first impression was Gervais' suave voice.It didn't sound heavy or chipper. He displays an ability to be immaturely adept at vocality. From squeaky noises to sets of laughter in hysteria, the boss' voice outdoes Carroll. The only other thing that I noted was that Martin Freeman costars as Jim's equivalent.

Unfortunately, this is not enough to beat::

  • Michael Scott 
  • Dwight Schrute's quotable quotes
  • Amy Adams in "Hot Girl" 
  • The Basketball Game
  • Jim's Pranks (stapler in jello!) 
  • More screen time of more than four people 
  • Jim's commentary
  • Pam's script 
  • Attempts of feminism
  • Cutest TV Couple: 
  • The company name, Dunder-Mifflin
  • Michael Scott's hospitality with his employees
  • ASSISTANT TO THE REGIONAL MANAGER
  • Mindy Kaling
  • The World's Best Boss

UK: 6.7-7.2
US: 7.5


Don't abandon your past favorites. I am extremely laidback when listening to hours of R&B and some Rap from classics like Eminem, Nicki Minaj. For the past couple weeks, I've been falling asleep to Classical Music for Sobbing. Less than five minutes and I'm snoozing. But, my mornings -- it was not into the past one and a half weeks ago that I realized that my mornings weren't as great as it normally was. I slowed down my yoga activity.. the books -- not reading as often. 
Two is a magic number for me:: it's all you need. Two choices, friends, sisters, favorites. I'm not worn-out from classical music, but at least, I got something to just listen to this weekend. 

I'm going to close this with a little talk on --claims.-- 
I STOPPED playing piano. I CAN'T do my splits anymore because of my age. It is so flawed that I CANNOT EXPLAIN it. 
I know only about three people who are entirely or nearly completely honest. They don't use these claims. When you blank out, you need a plan. Nowadays, I'm always panicking on math quizzes. I have never been so bombarded by a silent clock right before my eyes that's bound to explode any second. I learned that a Big Goal Needs a Plan. (How to Take People With You -- David Novak]] This week, prioritize , plan, and practice. 

Long for something. This breaks the claims. Splits? Stretch and start small. Soccer? There's bound to be an appropriate age- group for you.  Most claims are false. If you doubt yourself so highly, fix it. This is why there are so many folks who complain about life. I want to encourage pensive practices -- daze and think about how important your little life on earth is - how precious is it ?does it matter? Make your life lead to a death with barely any regrets. Leonardo da Vinci has a quote, "While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning how to die"
In every mind, there's at least a hint of positivity (Scar may have seemed sinister, but motivation is too positive for a villain, so he has a vial of positive thought). I wonder how many generations will it take to find a generation of kids who have never seen The Lion King.